Information We Collect
We may collect personal information about you when you install, access, or use the online services, and when you otherwise interact with us. The information we collect falls into the following categories: (a) information you provide us; (b) information we collect through automated methods. We may combine the information you provide us with information that is collected through automated methods.
You may provide the following information to us:
• personal details, such as your name, postal and email addresses, phone number, date of birth and other contact information, when you register with our online services, log-in to Wi-Fi, enter one of our competitions, or contact us by phone or through our mobile app.
• account information, such as your username or password (or anything else that identifies you) used to access our online services
• transaction information, including information about the products you buy, prices, method of payment and payment details;
• profile information, including products and services you like, or times you prefer to visit us or use the online services; and
• other personal information you choose to give us when you interact with us.
We may use automated technology to collect information from your computer system or mobile device when you install, access, or use the online services. Automated technology may include cookies, local shared objects, and web beacons. There is more information below about cookies and other technologies.
We may collect information about your:
• internet protocol (IP) address;
• computer or mobile-device operating system and browser type;
• type of mobile device and its settings;
• unique device identifier (UDID) or mobile equipment identifier (MEID) for your mobile device;
• device and component serial numbers;
• device and component serial numbers;
• referring website (a site that has led you to ours) or application;
• online activity on other websites, applications or social media;
• communications to us or regarding us on social media; and
• activity related to how you use our online services, such as the pages you visit on our sites or in our mobile apps.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we collect to:
• tell you about our products and services, competitions, offers, promotions, surveys or special events;
• tell you about the products and services of our business partners;
• communicate with you about your orders, purchases or accounts with us, requests, questions, and comments;
• personalize your experience in our restaurants and on our online services,
• manage our business, including developing new products and services, conducting consumer research, and assessing the effectiveness of our sales, marketing, social media and advertising;
• maintain, manage, and improve our products, offers, promotions, and online services and other technology;
• protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other crime, claims and other liabilities; and
• comply with applicable law.
We may use the information we collect about you in other ways, which we will tell you about at the time we collect it or for which we will seek your consent.
How We Share the Information We Collect
We may share your information within the McDonald's Family. The McDonald's Family includes Arcos Dorados Puerto Rico LLC, Golden Arch Puerto Rico LLC, our affiliates, our subsidiaries, and our franchisees.
We may share your information with vendors who provide services to us, such as fulfilling orders, providing data processing and other information technology services, managing promotions, contests, prize draws and sweepstakes, carrying out research and analysis, and personalizing individual McDonald’s customer experiences. We do not allow these vendors to use this information or to share it for any purpose other than to provide services on our behalf.
There may be times where we may share information when it does not directly identify you. For example, we may share anonymous, aggregated statistics about your use of our online services. Or we may combine information about you with other customers and share the information in a way that does not link to a specific customer.
We may, for strategic or other business reasons, decide to sell or transfer all or part of our business. As part of that sale or transfer, we may pass information we have collected and stored, including customer information, to anyone involved in the sale or transfer.
We have the right to use or share information as necessary to keep to any law, regulation or legal request, to protect our online services, to bring or defend legal claims, to protect the rights, interests, safety and security of our organization, our employees or franchisees, or members of the public, or to investigate fraud or other crime, or violations of our policies.
If you do not want to receive marketing communications from us, you can later opt out by following the opt-out instructions in the marketing communications we send you. You can also generally find your communication preferences with instructions on how to opt out in the profile section of the online services that you use. You may also be able to change your communications preferences using your device settings.
Cookies and Related Technology
A “cookie” is a small text file that is placed onto an Internet user’s web browser or device and is used to remember and/or obtain information about the user.
A “web beacon” is a small object or image that is embedded into a web page, application, or email and is used to track activity. They are also sometimes referred to as pixels and tags.
We may use these technologies to:
• uniquely identify you or your device;
• allow you to access and use our online services, where without them, our online services may not work properly;
• improve our products and services;
• help us monitor the performance (e.g., traffic, errors, page load time, popular sections, etc.) of our online services;
• remember you, for your convenience, when you visit our online services
• help customize your experience;
• to market to you through targeted advertising; and
For example, we may use certain technologies to determine whether you have opened an e-mail or clicked on a link contained in an e-mail, how you use the pages and content in our mobile apps, or whether you have clicked on a McDonald’s online advertisement.
Both we and others (such as our advertising networks) may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities, over time and across third-party websites and devices, and when using our online services to further personalize your experience with us.
Use the options in your web browser if you do not wish to receive a cookie or if you wish to set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie. Click on the “Help” section of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. If you disable all cookies, you may not be able to take advantage of all the features available on a website.
Some newer web browsers may have a "Do Not Track" preference that transmits a "Do Not Track" header to the websites you visit with information indicating that you do not want your activity to be tracked. McDonald’s does not currently take actions to respond to Do Not Track signals because a uniform technological standard has not yet been developed. We continue to review new technologies and may adopt a standard once one is created.
Where video is available on our online services, we may target and track the videos you view. You consent to our tracking of your video viewing through online services or third-party social media for up to two years, or as permitted by applicable law, or until consent is withdrawn.
When you use our online services, we (and our vendors who provide services to us) may collect information about your activities so that we can provide you with advertising tailored to your interests.
Links to Other Websites and Social Media
We may also have providers of other apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins on our online services, such as Facebook “Like” buttons, which may also use automated methods to collect information about how you use these features. These organizations may use your information in line with their own policies.
We are committed to taking appropriate measures designed to keep your personal information secure. Our technical, administrative and physical procedures are designed to protect personal information from accidental, unlawful or unauthorized loss, access, disclosure, use, alteration, or destruction. While we make efforts to protect our information systems, no website, mobile application, computer system, or transmission of information over the internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.